Monday, December 12, 2011

Slow Cooked Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup



I have talked about my love of Food Network and the Food Network Magazine.... Well tonight's dinner came courtesy of just that.


I was not feeling well yesterday and instead of eating I decided to cook. So while I made another meal for this weeks lunches I decided to get all my veggies ready for tonight's dinner. This prep made it possible to just dump everything in the slow cooker and press on before I walked out of the door for the day.

Which means I don't have to cook when I get home from work.... I love cooking but I love not worrying about dinner every once in a while. 

I made just a few slight changes because this recipe was already extremely healthy and very low fat. So here is what you need for Food Networks recipe with an Alexis twist.

What You Need

1 large Sweet Potato peeled and diced
3 Medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 in pieces
3 stalks of celery, cut into 1/2 in pieces
2 leeks, halved and cut into 1/2 in pieces  (don't use the dark green portion)
3/4 cup lentils (I used red because they were in the pantry already)
1/2 tbsp ground ginger (you can use fresh use a 4 inch piece and grate it)
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 Cups chicken or veggie broth
4 cups Water
salt
1 tbsp unsalted butter
4 cloves of garlic
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro

To make it easy if you have to be out the door early like I do, do yourself a favor and cut all the veggies the night before and store in the fridge



I woke up and I dumped all the veggies in the slow cooker along with 2 cloves of the garlic sliced thinly, ginder and 3/4 tsp curry powder. Then dump in the broth and water. Stir everything together and then slow cook for 8 hours.

 Right before serving heat the butter 2 cloves of minced garlic and the remain 1/4 tsp curry powder. Heat until curry powder is toasted (you should be able to smell it by this point). Stir into the soup along with lemon juice and cilantro. 

This was fantastic for the horrible 2 days of rain we have had here in Florida. A great vegetarian option... and just all around yummy. Plus you pretty much get your entire days worth of veggies in one bowl LOL

Nutrition Facts: Cal 257, Fat 4g, Fiber 10g, Protein 12g

SO EAT AWAY....

Ciao and no work dinner

Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment