Monday, September 19, 2011

Crazy Hungry!!!!!

Do you ever have days where it just doesn't seem like you will ever be able to eat enough? Well that was my day.



I woke up at 4:50am to get to the gym before work. Morning workouts always shoot my metabalism into high gear and the rest of the day I have food on my mind, and nothing seems to make it go away.


I haven't talked much about working out, so here it goes. I believe you need to have a healthy balance of weights, cardio, plyometrics, and calisthenics.

The first (weights) being the the focus of tonight. I am a firm believer that everyone, yes that includes women, should lift weights, and lift heavy (heavy for you, not for someone else).

Her form is all off LOL


 Today was legs for me, and I am supposed to run with Brian tonight so all I did at the gym was lift, nothing else. My workout looked a little something like this.

Seated Squats- Grab a bar and grab a seat (something that will have you keep your knees at 90 degrees)
I lift heavy so I had a 45lb bar. I did progressive weight and decreased reps as I went.

Side note for beginners: Just use the bar and do as many reps as you can. Slowly add weight and try to match the  reps you could do with just the bar. Once you reach that goal add more weight, so on and so on... 

Set 1- 25lb each side 25 reps
Set2- 30lb each side 20 reps
set3- 35lbs each side 15reps
set4- 40lbs each side 12 reps
set5 45lbs each side 12 reps
Total of 84 squats - and yes my legs and butt were tired HAHA


Next came incline leg press (ya I wasn't too thrilled after the squats LOL)


Side note for beginners: The machine I use already weighs 118lb with no weight on it. You could always go to the gym and only use the bar on the machine and you would still be getting in a good workout.

Here is what my leg press workout looked like

set1- 45lb each side- 12 reps- one leg then switch
set2- 90lbs each side- 12 reps (both legs... I am not that good)
set3- 135 each side- 12 reps
set4- 180 each side- 10 reps
set5- 225 each side- 8 reps
Just to give you  an example of heavy lifting my last set equaled 225+225+118(bar)=568lb
I just thought he was cute LOL


I know what you are thinking, and NO! just because you lift weights does not mean you will get bulky. Guess what it does mean... you will burn more calories. It is a fact that lean muscle burns more calories through any given day. In order to gain lean muscle... yep you guessed it, LIFT WEIGHTS!!! I am by no means saying you need to go to the gym and lift what I lift, or what your friends lift, but I suggest you lift something!!!

I have no need to re-invent the wheel, so if you are new to the whole concept of weights,  you should check out my friend Carissa's blog on Strength Workouts for Beginners.

Have a great night!

And remember, if you want to burn more calories check out that side of the gym you normally avoid... and pick up the weights!!!

Ciao

Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment