Thursday, September 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Protein Granola Bars

Well today has pretty much been FAIL after FAIL, starting with no sleep last night. My work day finally ended 10 hours later and then I proceeded to spill every element of dinner on my white dress shirt. I would love to go to sleep now and end the day but unfortunately I need to fit in a workout and do some grading for my class.

Well now that my pitty party has ended I will get on with the recipe. It is pretty simple, requires NO COOKING and is a great healthy snack , clocking in at 128cal, 17carb, and 10g protein (assuming you cut them similar to mine LOL). These are also a savior when you have a killer sweet tooth and can not see wasting calories on ice cream, cake, so on....

This recipe has quite a few ingredients but it is pretty much dump and mix so don't feel intimidated.

Yes it looks like a lot... 

Dry Ingredients
1.5 c  oats 
1/2 c Shredded coconut 
1/4c raisins  1/4 c crasins ( or any dried fruit you wish)
32 chocolate chips (that was 2 servings of the chips I had and yes I counted lol)
1/4 c pecans ( you can sub. walnuts)
2c Protein powder
2T Flax seed (ground)
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c sunflower seeds

Wet ingredients
2 ripe bananas 
1/4c agave                                                                                                                                                             
1/4c pure maple syrup (not flavored... thats just sugar)
1/4c honey 
1/2c Peanut butter 
1tsp Vanilla Extract 


Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl
In a small bowl mash the bananas, add all the wet ingredients and mix
 dump wet ingredients into dry and mix well...
 You may have to use your hands :o)
Spread into a lined baking dish (plastic wrap or wax paper) and place in the freezer for about an hour or until set
Side note: While I waited for them to chill I finally talked my lazy butt off the couch and did a simple work out. 

A quick 1.5mile/2 mile run 
followed by 2 sets of push ups 
-each set= 20 reps, 1 leg switch legs on second rep



2 sets of close grip pull ups
- 5 each set... Ya i was tired lol
 




OK back to the recipe
 
 Cut into squares once they are set. I cut mine into 18 squares using a 11x7x1.5 baking dish

Individually wrap the bars, place in a freezer safe container and keep them in there until you need a quick snack or to satisfy the late night sweet tooth attack.

Hpe you enjoy!

Have a great night and remember... giving into your sweet tooth doesn't mean you have to wreck your entire day

Ciao

Alexis




2 comments:

  1. Can I have some please!!! :)

    Could you make a pumpkin version?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely try a pumpkin type bar and if it works send it your way!!! It is that season now, and you know I love pumpkin just like you LOL.

    ReplyDelete