Monday, February 20, 2012

Chia Jam: Great taste, Great benefits

CH CH CH CHIA!!!! Hopefully everyone is old enough to get that one HAHA

Until now all I have ever thought of when the word Chia was uttered was this....
Source
 Much like George Washington  "I can not tell a lie" I always secretly wanted one of these little guys, but my parents were not having it . . . a waste of money is what they thought it was . . . I know, I was so deprived haha

However, I have recently been introduced to the benefits of Chia seeds.
 *Enter Science lesson here*
  • It is said that 30% of Chia Seeds oil comes from Omega 3's and 40% come from Omega 6's. (no need for a Fatty Acid supplement if you work these into your daily meals)
  • They are highly hydrophilic, which is great for athletes. Chia Seeds are able to absorb 10 times their weight in water, which enhances the hydrating of your body during workouts all that much better.
  •  Eating Chia Seeds slows down the conversion of carbohydrate calories into simple sugars (which is being studied as a diabetic benefit).
  • Chia Seeds gel when becoming wet which helps prevent some of the food/calories we eat from getting absorbed by our digestive system. This blockage of calorie absorption is a great diet helper. 
  • Eating Chia Seeds also helps dieters by making them feel fuller faster so they will be less hungry!
  • Chia Seeds provide antioxidant activity.
*Science lesson complete* 


So when I head about Chia Seeds and I read up on the benefits I became a believer. I tried to figure out an easy way for me to add these "wonder" seeds to my daily diet without just dumping plain seeds on all my food.

After a recent trip to the farmers market, loading up on a ton of fresh fruit


and finding the seeds later that day at Whole Foods I had an idea... Fresh, No Sugar added, Fruit jam.

I made this up as I went and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I thought it came out just sweet enough for my liking (I let me mother try it, she said it needs a little more sugar but I refuse to add any... so take that as you will) and most importantly kept the fresh taste of the fruit I used to make it.

I have used Strawberries and Blueberries so far and I have loved them both. I plan on making a blackberry/blueberry combo today.

Here is the SUPER SIMPLE recipe I use (Pictures show my strawberry version)

1cup fresh chopped berries (blueberries can be kept whole)
1Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Chia seeds


 Add all ingredients into saucepan over med heat mix well to coat all the berries with honey and chia seeds

 Once the strawberries are hot enough (about 2-3 min) they will begin to release juices... reduce heat to low and use a whisk to lightly break up some of the chunks (you do not want it completely smooth)
 This will cause the Jam to thicken up. Once it is to the consistency you would like remove from heat and continue to mix for a min to help cool.

 Once Jam is cooled place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge.

Here are a few of my favorite ways to enjoy the jam and easily work the Chia Seeds into my everyday diet:

PrOatmeal with Natural PB, Chia Jam and Homemade Granola Bark  

 Protein Pancakes 

Home made Bread with home made Ricotta 




Any way you decide to use it, I hope you love it! 

How do you work Chia Seeds into your diet?

Ciao and healthy seeds

Alexis  




5 comments:

  1. YUM :) I blogged about this today, too - well, just how healthy they are
    I've been putting them in my oatmeal for breakfast in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this jam today and loooove it! I used strawberries & raspberries this time around - but am looking forward to trying other combos too. Can't wait to use this in yogurt & oatmeal & on a sandwich heheh :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am so glad. I made blueberry and blackberry the other night and I am in love lol Brian suggested raspberry this morning so now I guess I will have to! I am glad u loved it! Its super good on cottage cheese too

      Delete
  3. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also food delivered to your door

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. bedok south hawker centre

    ReplyDelete