Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Butternut squash Orzo salad (at a pig roast)

SOOOOOO this weekend Brian and I went to my sister and her boyfriends house for their Bi-annual pig roast. It is so much fun. This year they had the theme Cluck and Oink. It was the Pig Vs. Chicken


They had their normal pig which roasted (above ground)... But they also added 4 chickens. Two of the chickens were done on the rotisserie while the other two were smoked for a few hours. 

  Sorry for those who do not do meat....

My favorite was the smoked chicken. I have never been a big pork fan but it is just a fun event and I love being apart of it. 

I asked my sister what she wanted me to bring and her response was something vegetarian lol that was all the help I got. So I was thinking, looking, and thinking some more. My final decision came down to a wonderful seasonal dish.... Butternut squash Orzo salad. 


Here is what you need:

Butternut Squash
Red Onion
Orzo
Garlic
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 
Salt and Pepper




This is a super simple recipe that taste like it took a long time and a lot of work.


 Cut and seed the squash. Then cut into cubes.








Slice Onions and place on a pan with squash, 4 whole garlic cloves and toss with some EVOO salt and pepper. Roast in a 400 degree oven for aprox. 20 min or until squash is tender.

While the squash is cooking prepare the orzo. I make the whole bag and save the rest for later in the week. You only need 1-2 cups (depending on the amount of pasta you want to use) for this recipe
Once Squash is tender remove from the oven toss with the orzo and a little more EVOO.

So total blog fail... I made this twice this week and completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product BOTH TIMES!!!! I do have my plate from the pig roast though HAHA

I tried to limit my food at the party LOL the salad is on the bottom.

My second version this week had a few additives... I added spinach and goat cheese. I have to say that gave it a whole new flavor profile which I LOVED!!!!

I love fall/winter flavors and the fruits and veggies these season bring... If you are like me I suggest you make this salad!!!!

I leave you with some Pig roast photos. 

Corn Hole Time

             Brian getting ready                      My sister looking like she knows what to do       Brian and I CHAMPS!!!


 The Pig








Sisters
Heather and Gail




We had a great time and always enjoy our trips to their house, and time with family and friends.
Ciao from Cluck and Oink

Alexis
                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment