Saturday, November 12, 2011

Mexican Pita-za

Wow I have been really slacking on my posts lately... It has been a crazy few weeks at work. I am finally starting to get back into the swing of things so hopefully I get back on top of my recipes, workouts, and random babblings that you are so kind to read.

Last week after making my Bean Burgers  I had lots of left over beans sitting in my fridge.

As I went through the fridge to see what needed to be used before it went bad (I hate wasting food) I saw the container of beans, so spinach pitas, guacamole, corn, and re-fried beans.With a brand new package of ground chicken I was suddenly hit with the idea... MEXICAN PIZZA (pita-za... ya i know lame play on words haha)
Sorry for the bad pics.. I need a new camera. Hoping for an early xmas/bday gift lol 


  1. It was an effort to use what I had and not be wasteful, so I had no idea how it would turn out but I was EXTREMELY happy with the results, as was Brian.It was super delicious and filled with healthy ingredients.


Here is what you need:

  1. 1lb ground chicken 
  2. ground cumin, rubbed sage, oregano, garlic powder, cayenne pepper. (I don't measure my spices but if i had to give you an estimate I would say 1tsp of each and 1/2 tsp cayenne)
  3. Black and Red Beans (these were left overs so you can use any kind you want... black beans would probably be best for the Mexican flavors) 
  4. re-fried beans ( I buy the fat free ones)
  5. Guacamole
  6. Shredded lettuce
  7. Shredded Cheese (we used Pepper Jack cheddar from Cabot) 
  8. Pitas (We used Spinach) 
  9. Corn
  10. Salsa
  11. Jalapenos (used jarred) 

What you need to do.

  1. Cook your ground chicken with all the spices until cooked all the way through. 
  2. Heat your oven to 350 and toast 2 pitas to make them a little crispy (not too crispy) so they hold up all the goodies you are going to pile on. 
  3. spread the re-fried beans on one of the pitas and place the other pita on top. 

    4.  Top with salsa, shredded cheese, jalapenos, corn, beans, chicken, and a little more cheese


     5.   Place back into 350 dgree oven to heat all ingredients and melt the cheese

     6.    Top with Guacamole and shredded lettuce. 


     7.   Cut and enjoy. 


Brian and I enjoy our food with some spice so we used, hot salsa, spicy guacamole and  some extra cayenne. But you can make it as mild as you like. 

It was super yummy, quick and made me happy to use up what needed to go instead having to dump it in the trash. 

What was the last thing you made with all your "extras" sitting in the fridge?

Ciao and Mexican Spice, 

Alexis 




2 comments:

  1. I normally make big salads on the weekend and throw all the leftover meat and veggies on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm... I love salads! The more veggies the better!!

    ReplyDelete