Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bosu-Balance-Brilliance

If you were stranded on a Desert Island.... Stop me if you know how this ends....

Fitness wise, if I were stranded on a Desert Island and could only bring one piece of equipment with me, I know exactly what I would bring! My #1 piece of transportable fitness equipment would be the BOSU.

 
 This half "ball" is so versatile its ridiculous. You can use it solely to work on balance or you can incorporate weights and give your entire body from head to toe a workout. I love doing normal workouts and adding in the Bosu. Today I did squats, single leg dead lifts, and bench press all using the Bosu. I have very good balance so I like to take it up a notch and flip it over so I am standing on the flat portion while trying to balance myself and my weights on the very top of the ball. Its not as easy as it sounds. 

For Squats I grab a bar add some plates and I go at it. Today I focused on slow movement while balancing. This engaged my glutes and core even more because the movements were super slow, which meant balancing became a bit more difficult. I honestly felt these squats from my stomach down. 

*on a side note* I felt even better when one of the men working out came up and asked me to show him how to do it. He seemed to be very impressed with my balance and let me know he had never seen anyone do squats on the Bosu before. May sound lame but it makes me smile when men recognize women's workout capabilities too and seem genuinely impressed. 

If you haven't yet tried out the Bosu, I highly suggest it. The same workout  you normally do will seem like a whole new experience. You will notice the differences right away. Start slow and as you feel comfortable try a new challenging move, it gets easy so you will work harder...

Once you have tried out the Bosu reach for some sensible snacks!


Peas and Crayons


This week my eats haven't been to outrageous and the weather has been far from nice (it has rained everyday for about 2 weeks) so I have not had a chance to get real photos with my real camera so you will have to settle for phone pics... sorry! 


 Ceviche- Not only is it delish but its packed with protein, omega 3s and barely any fat

 Cherries- They are super expensive right now but I couldn't pass up the yumminess this week. It makes it even better eating it out of a Christmas bowl lol.
 Cottage Cheese and Dried fruit- One of my favorite cures to a late night sweet tooth
 Pita with avacado (and chicken sometimes) I have been making these pitas for about 2 weeks now... what can I say ADDICTED!

So those are my munchies of choice this week. I can't lie, it will probably be my snacks next week too :o)
Thanks again to the amazing Jenn for hosting WIAW! So if you haven't yet, head over to Peas and Crayons
and link up your eats. 

Ciao and Beautiful Balance, 

Alexis











No comments:

Post a Comment