Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato

I pretty much love this little guy right here...



The taste and versatility of sweet potatoes are as great as the nutritional value one of these hold.

*Insert Science here
Sweet Potatoes are a great source of vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, copper, iron, manganese, potassium and dietary fiber. They also contain as much beta-carotene as carrots.
                                         - beta-carotene has many health benefits such as cancer prevention, heart                                             disease, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis
Carotenoids, which come in the form of beta-carotene are associated with stabilizing blood sugar and lowering insulin resistance. Last but not least Sweet Potatoes contain antioxidants that help remove free radicals from the body, protecting cells from damage and repairing damaged cells.
*Science Lesson over
Knowing all of this just makes loving these little guys even better. I have been making tons of stuff with sweet potatoes lately: Sweet Potato Protein Pancakes, Sweet Potato Salad, Sweet Potato Chips just to name a few. I would say we have been seeing this little guy at our dinner table at least 2 nights a week in one way or another. 
I have also done many different stuffed potato recipes, 1 2 3 4 but this is by far my favorite so far.

Today, however, I bring you the stuffed sweet potato. He came around on a lazy, not wanting to cook, evening and has been back once a week for the past month so I decided finally to share this super simple, super delish recipe with you.
 What You Need
Sweet Potatoes (however many you are making)
goat cheese
avocado
black beans 
salsa 
Chobani 0% plain greek yogurt. 
(For 2 potatoes I used: half an avocado about 7oz of black beans which is half of a typical can, and between 2-3 tbsp both salsa and greek yogurt)

What You Do

1. Cook sweet potato, You can either bake or do it the lazy way like I did and microwave it.
2. Heat black beans, cut avocado into like size pieces. 
3. Mix 1tbsp salsa with 1tbsp greek yogurt to make greek salsa. Make as much as you need for the amount of potatoes as you make. 
4. Cut open sweet potato and pile high. 
- I gave my amounts for 2 potatoes but you can pile on as much or as little as you want- 
Brian was a little skeptical because he is a "Meat Lover" but by the time he devoured his potato, skin and all, he looked at me and I kid you not said " I didn't even miss the meal" haha I smiled but in my head screamed out SUCCESS!!!!

 I took it up a notch the next time and layered on some Jalapenos just to give it an extra kick. Which is now the only way Brian and I will eat this version of the potato. What can I say, we love our spice!

So weather or not you choose to make this "Mexican" version of this potato or choose other toppings you should definitely try this with your own creative stuffing skills. 
So next time you eat a sweet potato think of all the wonderful health benefits it is providing and enjoy every last bite! 

Ciao and Super Potato

Alexis













5 comments:

  1. Ahaa, its goοd ԁialogue concerning thіs post аt this рlаce at this webpage, I haѵe read all that, so noω me also cοmmenting at
    this placе.

    Ηere is my wеbpаge ... how to make money buying and selling cars

    ReplyDelete
  2. A persοn essentially help to make ѕeverely artіcles I'd state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and to this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular submit extraordinary. Magnificent process!

    Take a look at my website - Edmond Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Α person esѕentially help to make severеly articles I'd state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and to this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular submit extraordinary. Magnificent process!

    Here is my blog :: Edmond Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gοoԁ day! I could havе sworn I've been to this website before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
    Anywаys, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be
    bоokmarκing аnd сhecking back
    frequently!

    Fеel free to ѵisit mу site: www.page1rankingdallas.com

    ReplyDelete