Brian and I picked my mother up from the airport the other day and we decided to have a mini cookout. The weather was actually really nice here in Florida so we even ate outside, which does not happen often in summer here.
So I came up with the veggie burger, home made pita chips and ceviche. I even got the thumbs up from my very hard to please mother when it comes to healthy eats. So I say this was a score.
|This guy approves|
Quinoa Black Bean Burgers
What you need:
- 1 can Black Beans (15oz)
- 2 cups cooked Quionoa
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2-3oz of goat cheese ( I will probably add more next time)
- 2 egg whites
- 2Tbsp dried parsley (you can use fresh I just hadn't been to the store)
- 1Tbsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
1. In a food processor mash the black beans into a paste like consistency. Mix in quinoa, spices, carrot, egg, goat cheese.
2. Form into patties and place onto a pan lined with wax paper. Place in freezer for 30 min to let set.
3. Heat oil in skillet over med. heat. Cook about 5 min on each side.
4. Serve any way you want!
I know this isn't the prettiest looking dish but it sure was a great lunch in a pinch. Mixed greens, alfalfa sprouts topped with one of the burgers.
These can easily be made Vegan with Egg substitute or a flax "egg". So try it this summer! Don't feel left out at the next BBQ.
Maybe you will even have a surprise guest like we did!
Ciao and Cookout time