Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chickpea and Tomoato Salad

MAN OH MAN!!! I am on day 4 of detox and have entered into the progression of eliminating meals. Today I ate breakfast with Brian before we both headed off to work, started my lemonade detox during the day and then had a "clean" dinner.(check out my other detox posts, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, vinegar, olive oil are all detox "super foods"



 

*Chickpeas- high in protein, phosphorus, sulfur, and potassium.
*Tomatoes- high in the antioxidant lycopene, which has been attributed to prevention of many diseases
*Onions- high in the antioxidant quercetin which protects against free radical damage. 
            - enhances the activity of healthy intestinal flora and is antiviral
*Vinegar- beneficial for the circulatory and digestive systems
*Olive Oil- Antioxident, prevents cholesterol from being transformed into a harmful free radical.

Ok Ok... Science lesson over lets get on with the reciepe.

Chickpea and Tomato salad is not jsut a detox food for me... It has everything in one place that I love so it is never a sad dinner when I get to eat it :o)

Ingredients for salad

1 can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
3 Tomato (2 if large)
half a Red Onion sliced thinly
Romaine lettuce or spring mix (your preference)


Chop Tomatoes and onions. Place in a large bowl with chickpeas

Place on top of lettuce of choice
Add homemade salad dressing (or your dressing of choice)


Goat cheese is always a plus in my household!


Ingredients for Salad Dressing (mixture of my own recipes and one for my detox book)

3/4 cup olive oil ( I use organic cold pressed)
1/2 cup apple cider vinigar
2T water
1T honey
1T whole grain- mustard
2 garlic cloves minced ( I just use my garlic press)
1 spring of  fresh rosemary chopped

*mix all ingredients and store any extra in the fridge

I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do!

Ciao, and healthy salad

Alexis



1 comment: