Sunday, October 9, 2011

Healthy Chicken Salad

I tend to shy away from tuna salads and chicken salads when ever I am out to eat. The crazy amount of mayo they use turns the everyday healthy ingredients into a ball full of fat on bread. So I decided I had to come up with a way to create a great tasting Chicken Salad, with fresh, healthy ingredients that still tasted good.

It is a fairly simple recipe

 
Basic Ingredients

Chicken Breast- You can always buy rotisserie and use the breast meat from that
Peppers (orange, red, yellow)
Onions
fruit (apples, grapes)
plain greek yogurt
mustard

So here goes tonight's version for Brian.

1. I start with thin chicken breast.

2. Place in skillet with veggie or chicken broth (low sodium) 
3. Cook for about 5 min. on each side
It will not be cooked through at this point

4. Place skillet in the oven and bake chicken for about 10 min before flipping. Flip and bake until cooked through, about 5 min (depending on thickness of chicken)

5. Once cooked through shred chicken into a bowl. Get ready to add your mix ins of choice

6. I used 2 chicken breast and mixed in about 2T of greek yogurt. (Do not add to much or else it will be a big ball of sloppy chicken. )
7. Add about 1T mustard... I use homemade spicy mustard my grandfather makes. You use whatever your taste buds like. 
8. Mix in all other ingredients. Brian wanted Jalapeno instead of Bell peppers and apple so thats what he got. 
9. Mix good and chill (overnight if possible)
10. Place on any type of bread you desire and enjoy... or eat it right out of the bowl. :o)

What is one food you want to make healthy?

Ciao, and healthy choices

Alexis

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that you share your recipes. The ones hat I have tried are great. Love the overnight oats, chicken salad, and your home made granola bars.

    ReplyDelete